Thursday, June 5, 2008

Relocating to The Villages with Pets

Starting over in a new environment is never easy, starting over with pets is even harder. How do you find a new groomer, a new Vet and a new circle of pet friendly friends?


The Villages has so many groomers and Vets to choose from, one of the coolest pet stores I have ever visited and the friendliest neighbors I have ever met. I live in a courtyard villa, it is such a luxury to just open the door and let the dogs "do their thing". It also seems that almost all of neighbors seem to also have dogs. I've moved around quite a bit in the past, had some bad experiences with friend's referrals. Back in New York I once had a friend recommend a boarding facility, left the dogs there and found when I picked them up they were "head shy", they cringed when I raised my hand-we obviously never returned. Since then I've been very careful.


Finding a groomer and a Vet is always a bit of a challenge, I have found that what works for other people sometimes doesn't work for me. I'm not too impressed with fancy surroundings, the only thing I really care about in a groomer is that they treat my animals with respect. I'll sacrifice the perfect cut for the perfect attitude. The first step I took was to question owners of similar breeds while I was in Sumter Landing. The only problem I had with this is that a lot of the pets had just moved here and didn't have a groomer yet either.

Groomer #1-I never actually had her groom the puppies (at 8 years old they are still my puppies). While making an appointment she told me that if they were bad she would tell me. She acted as if this tattletailing was a good thing. HUH? Why would I want her to tell me? That is something she should keep to herself. I know they can be a pain in the neck, but it's not like they bite or anything. If it were easy I would do it myself.

Groomer#2-She groomed the two of them and informed me that Puppy Boy has ISSUES. Not health ISSUES, but he doesn't like having his nails trims. I had an issue myself when I noticed his nails were bleeding.

Groomer#3-As they say, three's a charm. The first thing she told me was that she can't do show type of grooming. I'm okay with that because there is no way these two will ever be at a show unless I buy them an admission ticket. Puppy Boy's mother was a big time show dog, same with his father. Puppy Boy's conformation is so bad that the breeder refused to allow me to use the kennel name. Missy is a puppy mill rescue, again, we have no show aspirations for her. This groomer shows up on time, is reasonably priced, actually acts like she likes them and never tattles on them.

Finding a Vet has become a bigger challenge. My dogs are up to date on their shots, have no discernable problem, but I want to have somebody before I really need him. For me, the makings of a good vet is like walking a tightrope. I want someone who is up on all the latest in diagnostic tools and treatments, yet if they run too many tests I think they are lacking in instinct and experience. I want to be consulted before any procedure is done, I want my questions answered regardless of how stupid he may think they are. I want to have my feelings respected and of course my animals treated with respect. I don't want to be loaded down with nonsense that I can buy for a much lower price elsewhere.

And so the search continues.....








No comments: