Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Villages....It's All About Golf Carts

When I first got to this place I was so calm that I felt as if I were on drugs. Picture a resort where anything you want you can have, you can't have a decent bagel, but anything else is a go. (I figured that either there was drugs in the water or maybe I had died and this was heaven.) I wasted no time in getting a golf cart, you must have a golf cart in here, the more pimped out the better. As Mr. Blechman pointed out in his book "Leisureville", a truly pimped out one can run up to about $25,000. The good news is that an adequately appointed one can be had for about $6000 and you can get a decent used one for half of that.

The first decent used cart I looked at was about 8 years old, looked good, the problem with it was that the owner was trying to sell it for $7000 because that's what he paid for it. It didn't matter that it was 8 years ago. You get a lot of this sort of thing in here, people that don't make a lot of sense. They're pleasant, happy, just a tad loopy.

The next one was a keeper, right price, decent condition and the guy selling it was pretty cute. He showed me all the features. It even had a ball washer. I don't play golf or date much, but a ball washer might be a good thing to have. During the course of our negotiations I once again was wondering if indeed I was dead and this was heaven. Just then his wife (make that young, blonde wife) came out to join us. Whoa, was I glad to know that I was still alive because if I were dead and this was heaven this cute guy would have been single.

Some things to know about golf carts. The electric ones are silent, when you pull them in the garage remember that they are still on, DO NOT absently place your foot on the gas pedal because it will fly into the wall. I did this twice so far.

Another thing to remember is that your vehicle is small, when you are going to make a turn DO NOT do the little single finger wave to signal. While driving my car I would get crazy over all the single finger waves.

It's a Villages tradition to never use turn signals, not in a car, certainly not in a golf cart. When driving a car and you get to the rotaries that they have all over the place DO NOT move over towards the inner lane, nobody does that. You just have to kind of float around the outside lane till you get where you are exiting, if you go to the inner lane during a busy time you may never get out again.

Another thing to remember is that while in Golf Carts people try to go as fast as possible, yet while driving a car they seem to forget the thing has a gas pedal. I once was behind a Corvette going 20 mph (maybe it was my hero, Mr. Midnight). I'm sorry, this should not be allowed, I didn't even know that Vette's could go 20 mph.

The best thing about golf carts is you don't spend money on gas. In the past four months I have only used $20 gas in my car. I just love torturing my non-Village friends with that one. Maybe that will be in Leisureville II, that we have insulated ourselves from the reality of depending on oil. D'ya think?

No comments: